Wellness oriented healthcare professionals understand that trauma, genetics, excess weight and the aging process, along with degeneration, are involved in the development of arthritis. However, they also take other factors into consideration. Factors that can contribute to the development of arthritis include:
- Acidity. The ideal pH for the human body is approximately 7.35, making the healthy environment for the body alkaline. Values below 7.15 are considered as moving toward an acidic state. If the blood is too acidic, the internal environment of the body predisposes cartilage and joint breakdown as well as the production of inflammation and pain, resulting in arthritis. Other conditions associated with acidity include migraine headaches, insomnia, heartburn and other digestive problems, low blood pressure, stress and anxiety.
- Nutritional deficiencies. Arthritis sufferers tend to have certain nutrient deficiencies, caused by the disease itself or by drugs (more details in the following chapters).
- Food chemicals. Food colours, preservatives and additives detrimentally affect the organs and systems of the body.
- Environmental toxins: smoke, air pollution, electromagnetic fields (wireless devices), jet fuel fumes.
- Chemicals found in personal care products such as lipstick, hairspray and mouthwash.
- Lack of exercise. This decreases joint mobility and muscle tone and strength, in addition to promoting joint stiffness, pain and early degeneration of the musculoskeletal system.
- Emotional trauma, especially during childhood, has been linked to autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and scleroderma.
Straightforward Talk on the Holistic Approach to Managing Arthritis A holistic approach to arthritis management has a number of advantages over conventional approach.
- Natural medicine treats the whole individual, not just the painful joint. It helps your body and mind to heal themselves by restoring your physical and emotional balance.
- While no herb or natural supplement—including garlic and fish oil—is 100 per cent safe, when used properly, under the supervision of your alternative healthcare professional, herbs and supplements are much safer than conventional drugs. Homeopathic remedies are safer than the herbs or substances that they are derived from because they undergo a process of dilution.
- Holistic practitioners have a broader view of the trigger factors for arthritis and will help you eliminate environmental toxins, improve your diet, reduce stress, and support your immune system, as well as recommend an exercise program for you.
- Some forms of natural medicine are thousands of years old. One hundred years ago, natural medicine was considered ‘folk medicine’. Nowadays, hundreds of thousands of research studies are published at the National Institutes of Health (www.pubmed.gov‘). the largest research database. These studies are proving that natural medicine is supported by science. It works, and is safe and effective!
- With alternative medicine you have an active role in the healing process. You are in control of your health and various natural therapies will help your body and mind get back in balance. Alternative healthcare practitioners understand that arthritis, like any disease, can be improved and even reversed.
No, you don’t have to live with pain! You deserve a happy, healthy life. Welcome the world of natural health.