Kava Kava (Piper methysticum) is the rootstalk of the plant which is available whole, ground, extract or a supplemental drink.
– Kava Kava has sedative properties and is known to treat nervousness, anxiety, depression and insomnia. It sharpens the memory and concentration of people experiencing anxiety and induces peaceful sleep.
– The relaxant properties of Kava Kava helps relax the muscles and alleviates cramps. It is considered to be a good substitute for aspirin and other pain relieving drugs.
– Diuretic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and anti-pathogenic properties enable it to help cure gout, congestion, cystitis and prostatitis. It also acts as a disinfectant for urinary and reproductive infections.
How to use Kava Kava
– Hot Kava Kava tea acts as a diaphoretic and reduces fever and colds.
– Mix ground rootstalk with water or coconut milk. This infusion makes a good beverage and overall tonic.
– It is a good remedy for insomnia and anxiety when mixed with Valerian root and a little honey.
– Keep the chewed rootstalk in the mouth to alleviate toothache.
– Applying it as an ointment acts as a mild anesthetic and will help heal sore muscles.